Spey St Lane library service
The SSL library service will start again on Monday June 1st for the FOR THE DROP OFF OF TOOLS THAT WERE ALREADY OUT ONLY. We will then do a Friday to Monday loan service, starting on Friday 5th of June. Fridays will be for PICK UP ONLY, and Mondays will be for DROP OFF ONLY. This is non-negotiable. Our opening hours will be from 2pm-8pm both days. We will not be open to the public on any other days. Whilst you can’t book tools for this date yet, as a member, you will be notified when it is possible (probably from Tuesday the 2nd). Initially we will have a limited number of reservation slots per week to keep numbers manageable and avoid too many people gathering.
We welcome new ETL members, and you can find out how to join by scrolling down this page. Under normal circumstances we would require you to fill in a paper form, but to avoid the potential transmission of corona virus, we will just require the online form for now. Please still bring ID and proof of address. All new members will have their card details stored on our secure server as a means of security for the time being. Please contact us if this is an issue for you.
Free NHS Membership
We are thanking all NHS staff by giving away free memberships to anyone displaying their NHS badge or payslip. You will have to set up an NHS membership before booking tools however. This will be possible from June 1st, by following the regular instructions for joining, and selecting NHS Membership when given the option. As well as your NHS ID, we will also require you to provide another form of photo ID, and a proof of address. Thank you all so much.
New rules around borrowing
In order to keep our staff, volunteers, and members safe, and ensure we can run the service as smoothly as possible,we are bringing in some new rules in relation to borrowing. This might mean we are a little less flexible than under normal circumstances, but we are sure you understand the need. Please read the following list:
- No renewals of tools (we expect high demand initially) or extensions. Late tools will be fined in all cases
- All tools should be fully cleaned and disinfected by members before return. This was previously a kind request, it is now mandatory
- No joining in person – online only. The service at the depot on Spey St Lane is only for picking up pre-booked tools (Fridays) or returning them (Mondays)
- Queue up outside the depot, 2m apart (lines will be marked)
- Bring your own bag to collect tools
- Only 30 reservations per week will be processed initially (you can order multiple tools in one reservation), so please put all your tools in the same reservation
- We will not handle any cash – please make all payments through our website. We will also require card details on collection of tools to process any late fees
- Fridays are for collection of your order, Mondays are for the return. No exceptions
- If you are experiencing ANY symptoms of COVID19 or have been in contact with someone who has, do not borrow tools from us, and do not come to Spey St Lane. Please let us know if this affects a reservation you have made and we can free up the tools for someone else to use.
Keeping our members safe
We also thought we should let you know the steps we are taking to ensure the tools we lend out are not spreading anything other than dust and joy.
- All tools will be cleaned three times with disinfectant before being lent out. Once by the previous member, and twice by us (once on receipt of the item and once the day before it goes out)
- All tools will sit for 72 hours after they are initially cleaned by ETL staff or volunteers
- All ETL staff and volunteers will be wearing rubber gloves, face masks, and visors when dealing with the public and handling tools
- We will have a perspex screen between staff/volunteers and members
Thanks for your continued support.